This tasty protein-rich soup will warm you to the bone on chilly days!
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 8 oz sugar-free ham, cut into ½” cubes
- 1 bag split peas, rinsed
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 8 cups water
- Stock pot
- In stock pot, on medium high, place the onions, celery, and carrots and cook for approximately 4 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add ham, thyme, salt, water, and half the bag of split peas.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Add remaining split peas.
- Simmer for another 40 minutes.
- Stir frequently to keep from solids burning on bottom.
- Serve hot in bowls and sprinkle with bacon (optional).